Who We Are and
How We Started
Little LifeSavers is a charitable organisation born from the drop-in sessions teaching Basic Life Support (BLS) skills including management of choking children/ Child Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) / Adult CPR and the Recovery Position organised by Dr Barbara Stanley (consultant anaesthetist) and delivered by junior doctors in West Sussex during the Junior Doctors Strike Action. It comes from a desire to disseminate widely the vital skill of providing effective CPR to members of the public – especially school children so as to generate a “nation of lifesavers”. One of the children who attended the drop-in CPR session told his school about it and the head teacher made the first request. And so Little LifeSavers was born.
The Evidence for
Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest (OOHCA) means there can be a long gap between the time the heart stops and the time CPR is started unless a bystander (a member of the public) intervenes. Once the brain has been starved of oxygen for three minutes or longer permanent damage can occur and every minute the heart does not beat the chances of success of CPR attempts reduces. Initiatives in countries such as Denmark have addressed this problem and successful outcomes after OOHCA have subsequently doubled.
Giving young people the confidence and skill to intervene in such an important way is life- saving. Witnessed OOHCA can be given the maximal chance of success if we empower the public to act.
13 year old Christopher Sears died when he had an epileptic seizure on the school bus. He was sat upright in his seat and from the report it appear he stopped breathing and obstructed his airway. None of his fellow pupils (or bus driver) knew how to help him.
- RT @TheNeurosim: This is why i started @littlifesavers - to teach #children basic #CPR https://t.co/SvosUM7cbylittlifesavers5 days ago
- https://t.co/OdKCkHfUpxlittlifesavers2 weeks ago
- @Mellie_Knight We don't have a group in Kent yet.. I'm addressing thislittlifesavers3 weeks ago
- 98 more #LittleLifeSavers created Wednesday. #JoinUs #donate #volunteer ❤ #CPR #schoolchildrenlittlifesavers3 weeks ago
- RT @gwenlli14: @stmichaelswales @littlifesavers such fun training year 5 this morning! Thanks for the warm welcome #EveryChildALifesaverlittlifesavers1 month ago