Our sessions are available for all school children in the UK in primary school years 5 & 6 and secondary school years 7 & 8.
- The use of the school hall, or other large empty floor space room for the duration of the session. Please allow some time to set up too.
- Direct supervision by at least one DBS checked member of staff, who must remain for the entire session.
- Facilities to show the children the Skill Introduction video at the start of the session.
- All relevant information pertaining to access to the site, parking and health and safety for the visiting volunteers.
- If the content of the session is not deemed suitable for a particular class member (because of a recent bereavement for example) then we rely on the school to decide upon that class member’s attendance. The session is in a standard format and all the material will be covered.
- We are grateful for the provision of photographs from the session so that we can share news of our work. The photographs are shared on our blog, website and social media and ask the school to provide only pictures that have parental consent for sharing.
- The session is taught by 3 instructors.
- At the start of the session, the lead instructor will either give a live skillset demonstration to the entire group or will ask for the skillset video to be shown.
- After either the live demonstration or the video, the lead instructor will ask the supervising teacher to divide the attending children.
- The three instructors will space themselves around the hall with one of the 3 small groups of children.
- Each instructor will teach a single skill (either choking, child CPR or adult CPR) for 10 minutes to their group – so the three different skills that require the manikins will be taught simultaneously.
- After 10 minutes the children rotate to the next instructor to learn a different skill. Then they rotate a third time to learn the third skill.
- After the third rotation, the children stay with their final instructor to practice the recovery position.
- There is an all group recap and close at the end.
- An e-certificate with all the skills will be made available for the children.